Google+ Followers

Wednesday, 22 July 2009

The Boredom Of The Beginning

Can you keep a fruit bat in the parlour and will its vomit stain the carpet?

I have finally discovered that it is perfectly acceptable to discard my original opening to a story. Who cares? I can always keep it in a separate file if I don't want to lose it.

The chances are that your first opening paragraph is tentative, feeling its way into a story that doesn't exist yet. It may not capture the essence or mood of the main characters or guide the reader into their world. It may contain too much scene-setting, when those details should come naturally, scattered throughout the main body of the piece. It should be stunning, thrilling, maybe comic or even tragic, possibly a question or an exclamation. But whatever it is like, it should pose enough mystery and spice to draw the reader in.

Sometimes I think my stories don't 'get going' until the second or third paragraph. So I like to remove the opener and let the story begin at a more exciting moment, right in the thick of the action. Hence the fruit bat vomit. Explanations can come later. Engaging the reader can't.

So let your fruit bats fly freely.


No comments:

Post a Comment