Google+ Followers

Sunday, 19 July 2009

Endings

Perhaps an ending should be a bit like a beginning. The reader should feel that there is more to be said. We should finish the story wanting more, yet not feel cheated of a full and rich outcome. There should be loose ends to give us something to think about, but not so loose that we wonder what point there was in reading the story.

For writers, it is a skill that is worth acquiring, since an ending can often 'make' a story. If I find myself thinking about a story long after I've read it, then I can be sure it had a good ending.

'At The Launderette' by Sarah Barr in issue two of the Yellow Room magazine is a story I cannot forget. It has many other qualities of course, but its excellent structure, including a good ending, made it linger long in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment