Google+ Followers

Sunday, 26 September 2010

Autumn

Autumn seems to bring a change in me, as well as its gradual misting and moistening and russeting of the outside world. Oddly, I feel much more nostalgic and emotional. I remember being a child more vividly at this time of year. Perhaps I recall the excitement of the new school year and the magic of having a virgin pencil case and new shoes (even if I loathed my mother's choice of the latter and sulked all the way home from the shoe shop).

Then again, perhaps it is the prospect of log fires, frosty windows, warm scarves, hiding Christmas presents and drawing the curtains at four in the afternoon that combine to induce that feeling of cosiness and being wrapped up against the world. I must have felt very protected and warm at home as a child. Hence the nostalgia. I also love autumn for its strange arrangement of the bleak and the colourful, for its bitter cold and glaring sun, for the feeling that it is acceptable to hibernate at home and refreshing walks can be forgivably brief.

I am also thinking about how fortunate I am to be enjoying myself so self-indulgently by the fire with my writing. I do feel guilty about how I take it for granted at times. So I am really pleased to have had a story chosen for 50 Stories For Pakistan, the 'follow-on' from 100 Stories For Haiti and the brainchild of the lovely Greg McQueen again. Sales of the book will help people in desperate circumstances of the sort that we shall never experience in our safer, more insulated world, whatever the season.


17 comments:

  1. I love your memories of autumn. The new school year always brought a mixture of excitement and dread, and I'm very glad those days are over!

    Look forward to reading your story. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely identify with your thoughts on autumn, Joanna. This is my favourite season, when I seem to come more alive, but I love the cosiness too!

    Congratulations on the story for Pakistan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks to you both, Joanne and Rosemary. And congratulations on your Pakistan story too, Joanne. I shall really look forward to reading that and can't wait to see the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've summed up the season perfectly Joanna.
    Congratulations on your story being in the Pakistan book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the story for Pakistan.
    I feel nostalgic too and love the season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Teresa and Christine. I'm sure autumn is inspirational for writers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your story! I often feel nostalgic, more and more lately, I'm not sure why. I'm with you on the sulking at mum's school shoe choice! (she was right though, they had to be sensible).
    I do love the colours of Autumn, such a lovely time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, penandpaints. I think it is the colours that I love, even the grey mists, but especially I like the red leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully summed up and congratulations on having your story chosen for 50 Stories for Pakistan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your story being chosen.

    (PS sorry for the late response, thought I'd already commented on this.)

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Suzanne! That's very kind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joanna. Just to let you know you can pick up a 'Sweet Friends' blog award at mine if you would like. Don't feel obliged to do all the bits and pieces that go with it, but if you wish to pass the award on to other bloggers then of course you can do so.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Joanne! That's very kind and much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joanne. I'm glad JF gave you the award because when you commented on my blog I couldn't find my way here for some reason!
    Congratulation

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually congratulatuions (plural), you deserve more than one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Bazza, very much. I'm glad you're here. I really enjoy your blog. Congratulations to you on being given Joanne's award!

    ReplyDelete