Google+ Followers

Tuesday, 19 October 2010

Six Things About My Writing

Thank you to my lovely friend Joanne Fox for the Sweet Friends Award she has given me. I feel very happy about it and accept it with these six facts about my writing:

1) I sit, hunched like a witch (I have the big nose and long messy hair too), with bowls of cereal over my keyboard, frowning and screwing up my hopeless, short-sighted eyes.
2) I get frightened of my spreading backside, causing me to leap up now and again to do exercises from an ancient Claudia Schiffer keep-fit video. (I don't mean Claudia Schiffer is ancient. I love her for trying to help my hips.)
3) I write humorous stories when I'm low and dark ones when I'm happy.
4) I punch the air, slap the table, jump about and shout 'Yes, Yes!' when I get an acceptance or see my name on a shortlist, longlist or any sort of list. (This is embarrassing if a passer-by looks in the kitchen window at the time. Especially the time I danced to Honky Tonk Women.)
5) I've grown to like rejections. (This is untrue. But I try to see the positive side. And, almost always, I can see why they didn't make it. Eventually.)
6) I keep using favourite words in my stories, e.g. vanish, spread, slither and scarlet.

Thank you Joanne. I'm ready for a day's writing now. I'll just go and get the Special K first...

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your award.
    I love your six facts and can identify with some. I do that jumping about thing at the weeniest success.

    Have you written a story containing all your favourite words?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can ditto most of those - although cereal at my keyboard would almost certainly mean cereal IN my keyboard so I don't do that.
    And I gave up on the writer's bottom battle a long time ago. My favourite story word used to be 'Despite' until I realised how often I used it and I don't think I've used it at all since. May have to get it out of its mothballs for an occasional outing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Special K! How wonderfully healthy of you!

    Enjoyed your 6 things. At least your favourite words are all nice ones. I tend to overuse boring ones like 'but', 'also', 'again', and 'that'. I can often get my word count down to the necessary limit by taking out all the 'that's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the award! I can identify with all of that - except maybe the fitness video. My behind is beyond help I think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your award, it's great to learn more about you.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your lovely comments everyone. It was a lot of fun to think about how I write and to know that you all understand and identify with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your list and your favourite words! Perfectly acceptable to jump and shout and dance and grin like a cheshire cat when getting any kind of recognition as a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joanna, I was also pleased and flattered to receive Joanne's award.
    I will have to talk about how I write my Blog!
    To Discover Ice

    ReplyDelete