Google+ Followers

Monday, 24 January 2011

Enjoying My Ginger Nuts

I have begun a new story today to the strains of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. My typing was more ponderous during the slow, thoughtful sections. But the pace of it accelerated so much during the crescendos that I started laughing and had to take a break. Besides, I can't actually type that fast and discovered all the words were nonsense.

I have a CD called Gypsy Creams And Ginger Nuts. The tracks are very sixties-supermarket background music. I am writing a lightly-shaded story, which has, hopefully and allegedly, some hilarity content within it, with my Ginger Nuts trilling alongside me. Another story, which I'm planning to revise this afternoon, is rather dark. The music I listen to for that is the theme from Twin Peaks. Sinister, haunting and overhung with menace. I am convinced the music sets the mood and helps me to lose myself in the atmosphere of the story. And I enjoy the transformation from light to dark within the space of a day.

I'm feeling pleased today to have received copies of the latest anthology from Biscuit, in which one of my stories appears. I have had two acceptances from People's Friend as well. So the year is panning out rather well. Let's hope that's not a flash in the pan.

7 comments:

  1. Gosh, you are busy! Well done on the acceptances, too.

    I often find that music inspires my writing, but I find it distracting when I'm actually doing the writing, which is always done in silence - apart from tapping keys of course and the odd expletive when it all goes horribly wrong.

    Keep up the good work - I'll look forward to hearing of more successes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing well so far this year Joanna - keep it up!

    I love ginger nuts, and I did used to like Gypsy Creams. There also used to be something called (I think) Romany creams, which were a chocolatey fudgey kind of cream biscuit. Mmm... wish I could find them now, they seem to have disappeared without trace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you're doing well so far, Joanna! I love listening to music when writing, especially if it suits the genre.

    I'd forgotten about gypsy creams. The only place I ever ate them was at my Gran's so they bring back fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very biscuity themed post, Joanna with your Ginger Nuts, Gypsy Creams and inclusion in the Biscuit anthology. Congratulations on your good start to the year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Bernadette. I know what you mean about silence. I sometimes need it, especially when I can feel that moment coming when a story is about to cohere. I focus so hard at that point that I do switch the music off for a while and let the peace work its magic on my powers of concentration.

    Thank you very much Joanne. Isn't it a shame when good biscuits disappear? I loved Gypsy Creams and I think I recall the Romany creams too. But I don't think ginger nuts will ever vanish, thankfully. I suddenly have a yearning for McVitie's Jamaica Ginger Cake too.

    Many thanks to you, Rosemary. I think biscuits have huge powers of nostalgia. They are the ultimate comfort snack with a cup of tea. They remind me of coming home from school after a long walk. And one of my daughters loved my late mother-in-law's tartan biscuit tin so much that she has inherited it, dents and all.

    Thank you, Christine. I hadn't realised how biscuity that post had become! Pass the Rich Tea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely, Joanna, two acceptences from PF, I'm still trying to get a second one past them!
    I definately think music helps with your mood, although sometimes I get cross when the mood's not right and get up and switch it off!
    Congratulations on your great start to the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many thanks penandpaints for your kind words. I was pleased about PF as I had my first one published a long while ago now, and then nothing until these two. So it's certainly worth our while to keep writing and keep sending.

    ReplyDelete