Google+ Followers

Sunday, 6 March 2011

And Again!

Enormous thank yous to penandpaints at http://penandpaintswriting.blogspot.com/ for another Stylish Blogger Award. It's a lovely compliment to be stylish twice over! Here are seven more things about myself. I haven't thought about them yet. I'll just see what spills out of my head on Sunday morning.

1) As a small child, I was obsessed with limping. I would limp round and round the garden with a bamboo cane, pretending to be a little old man.

2) I am a slow, slow reader. I re-read sentences I like, savouring the words like that first sip of a gin and tonic. Ages pass before I turn the page. My husband whizzes through books, but I worry that he is missing something.

3) I insisted on wearing my stilettos when I worked in a toy factory during school holidays. One day they took me off my seat on the assembly line to work on a machine that punched rivets into plastic parts. It was a standing-up job. After the long walk home, my feet were so painful my mother had to make a mustard bath for them. But I still wore the heels the next day. I was utterly faithful to high heels and I still am, despite the torture. I don't understand the flat pumps my daughters wear.

4) When I visited my husband in hospital following his five-hour operation to remove a facial tumour, I had forgotten my handbag and ran out of petrol. The first thing I said was, "Have you got any cash on you?"

5) I eat mint-sauce sandwiches.

6) When a story I'm writing is going well, my heart beats very quickly. I feel it might jump out of my body. I get the same sensation just before a good story idea forms in my head. As though my body knows what is about to happen before my mind sees it.

7) A story came into my mind recently, fully-formed, with the main character complete and real. I felt he was mine to know and love and worry about. I sent him to a competition and know that if it isn't shortlisted, I shall be utterly devastated. I have been scared to read it again since, in case it's actually rubbish.

Thank you to penandpaints for giving me carte-blanche to bear my soul once more.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you managed another 7, well done you! I've never tried a mint sauce sandwich, maybe I'll have one now...they're probably very nice. We always had tomato sauce sandwiches when I was little, usually at the end of the week when there wasn't much left in the cupboards!
    Good luck for the competition in No. 7!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Joanna, you are just sooo stylish! Your number 4 really made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you penandpaints! Sandwiches are amazing. As long as you have bread, you can put anything in there!

    Thank you Joanne! Good thing my husband understands me. He knows not to expect much sympathy. And definitely to expect me to constantly be in the middle of a crisis for which his world has to stop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great facts, Joanna. Like penandpaints, it was tomato sauce sandwiches we ate in our house (I still eat them sometimes) - or crisps, or cold baked beans.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Suzanne! My Dad ate cold baked beans from the tin, which he then hid behind the sofa! Bizarre! I think he didn't want my mother to know what he'd been doing in case she disapproved. But of course she always found them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your award. Mint sauce sandwiches! That sounds interesting. I've had mustard sandwiches (and they were pretty good), but I'll have to try mint sauce. I think you were brave to keep wearing those stilettos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Elizabeth. I would love mustard sandwiches. And HP sauce ones too.

    ReplyDelete