Google+ Followers

Thursday, 3 March 2011

Stylish Blogger Award!

I'm so delighted to receive the Stylish Blogger Award from Rosemary, whose own blog, http://ros-readingandwriting.blogspot.com/, I love reading. I am now in the happy position of listing seven things about me, so here I go:

1) I was thrown out of Girl Guides for refusing to remove my bright red nail varnish.

2) I am not at all rebellious by nature; the above is the most appalling thing I have ever done.

3) I have had three operations on my nose to repair damage caused by falling crockery (definitely falling, not flung at me), which joyfully resulted in my nose becoming much neater in size and less bulbous. In effect, a free nose-job. It no longer casts a shadow over my moustache.

4) I enjoy having a general anaesthetic.

5) I began to learn to play the piano in my mid-forties, without any prior knowledge of how to read music, and am now coming up to Grade Five. I am a plodder and have no natural ability. I drive everyone mad by playing the same three bars over and over again until I have mastered them. I am the same when I write. If a word doesn't seem right, I stare into space until the perfect solution arrives. I can't continue until I feel satisfied. I can't leave errors. I have to correct as I go. I love finding things to circle with red pen, from my days studying to qualify as a proof-reader. (I achieved Merit, but they sent me a Distinction certificate by mistake. I was tempted to keep it, but decided to do the right thing and send it back.)

6) I was supposed to spend the summer after A Levels working at Butlins in Bognor with my best friend. She had to go on her own while I stayed at home and stole her boyfriend. I will never forgive myself for this. But it might make a good story.

7) My middle daughter tells me I show off with my dictaphone, waving it around with a hideous flourish in the car as I finish recording random ideas. I also gush at her friends, flirt with her boyfriend and embarrass her at check-outs by saying, "No thanks" to help with packing, then adding, "I've got my little helper with me."

Thank you so much, Rosemary, I've enjoyed this!

9 comments:

  1. How can you enjoy having an anaesthetic? I have nightmares about them - literally (so does my doctor son).

    But congratulations on the award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading about you, Joanna. Frances has already commented on the anaesthetic! Can just imagine your poor daughter at the check-out. Well done on learning the piano - my husband plays and I love to listen (or sing!) to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never known anyone before who enjoyed having an anaesthetic!
    I loved your answers though - and mothers are supposed to do all those things in no. 7 - carry on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo, I want to learn to play the piano. It's been on my list of 'things to do when I win the lottery' for ages.

    Great answers and congratualtions on the award (and I'm very impressed you were thrown out of girl guides).

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Frances. It is indeed very odd about the anaesthetic. I think I like the feeling of falling into a deep sleep, as I am an insomniac.

    Thank you Rosemary. My daughter definitely finds me an embarrassment! But she can be even more embarrassing than me!

    Many thanks, Teresa. I think you're right about mothers. Mine still tries to hold my hand when we cross the road. And I'm fifty!

    Thanks, Bernadette. I wrote the first seven things that came to mind. I probably have lots more!

    Thank you Suzanne. I feel oddly proud of being ejected from the Guides. I know that is probably very strange. But I'm just not good at things that involve wearing a uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOps, I've given you the same award Joanna! I suppose that means you're doubly stylish :)

    I love your list, I didn't know you were such a rebel hehe. Well done for learning the piano. I also do the checkout thing with my daughter, she smiles sweetly every time but I'm sure she's cringing on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing so well with your piano. I've fallen by the wayside rather with mine. I had the advantage of being able to read music from guitar lessons as a child, but clearly you are more discplined with it than I am!

    Working at Butlins might have been fun - but maybe the boyfriend was better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huge thanks to you, penandpaints! I am delighted at the thought of being doubly stylish! And I'm looking forward to thinking up seven more things!

    Many thanks, Joanne. I think I was determined to master the piano, because I'd always wanted to learn as a child. The writing does stop me practising as much as I should, though!
    And yes, the boyfriend was worthwhile, I have to confess!

    ReplyDelete