Google+ Followers

Sunday, 17 April 2011

A Challenge For The Summer

My Spring/Summer challenge is going to be writing 80,000 words in eighty days, as proposed by Sally Quilford at http://80kwords80days.blogspot.com/. It might be what I need to produce a themed collection of short stories at last, although other writers will write their novel or continue their work-in-progress. It doesn't matter how you choose to shape the words. It's important only that you write them. I'll aim for an average of a thousand a day of course, but undoubtedly there will be the odd day when I can't achieve any. And with luck, the occasional day when I manage more.

I feel excited about it, but as usual I don't know what will happen. I don't plot. But I daydream. Fragments of those muddled visions are stored in my head somehow and eventually translate into words on the screen. I think my theme is going to be: striving for the impossible. But I don't know for sure. And that's as much planning as I can do. On May 1st, I shall launch in and can't wait to see where it takes me. I'll feel inspired by the thought that others are doing the same and probably finding some days harder than others.

Now the days are longer and brighter, I fit in a little more writing than usual. And with my middle daughter soon on study leave for her GCSEs, I hope that my dedication to the 80k/80days challenge will assist with her revision! It worked when my eldest daughter was revising for A Levels. We both sat at the kitchen table and she beavered away with her books while I wrote. I have to say that I was the one always begging for it to be time to stop for lunch. But she would keep my nose to the grindstone until a more suitable time than 11.30! One memorable time, she asked me to help with her Statistics revision. She must have been desperate because no one in the world is less mathematically minded than I am. But, incredibly, between us, we managed to make sense of the problems, taking it bit by bit and getting more and more into the thrill of puzzling it out, and felt fantastic afterwards.

So if I could meet that challenge, then I'll definitely be able to do this one! Especially now I've told you all that I'm going to!



8 comments:

  1. That sounds a very exciting challenge Joanna. Knowing that other people are battling towards that 80k is sure to be a help. The best of luck with your writing adventure. Keep us posted with how it's going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Joanna! How exciting :-)
    And I love the idea of you and your daughter sitting at the kitchen table working together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a wonderful challenge to set yourself, Joanna - all the very best with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm full of admiration, Joanna, but when will you have time to do anything else? Do let us know how it's going. If you have time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of luck, Joanna. And I'm sure you'll have fun.

    I did think about this, but I'm already involved with the Minxes April Challenge (have set myself a 35k word count and, so far, have only managed 5k - shameful) so don't think I'll manage the 80k challenge this year. Maybe next year.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much everyone. I hope I can do it and I'll be giving it a really good try. I'll let you know how it goes and appreciate your good wishes as they will help to spur me on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the challenge. I will be joining in. It's just what I need to give myself a kick in the pants.
    I look forward to reading your short story collection when it's published.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks Virgoan Scribe. it's good to see the words 'when it's published'! I look forward to seeing yours too and wish you the very best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete