Google+ Followers

Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Visitors

For the last week I have been living with a new man. He is called Ian Green and he owns a bed-shop he inherited from his father. He breathes in the aroma of plastic-wrapped mattresses all day while his customers dwindle in number, seduced by the sweeter prices and faster service of the Internet. His sales are insufficient for a profit and he hasn't paid his mortgage for a few months. He's afraid to tell his sour wife and greedy child that they may lose the roof over their heads and their smoked-salmon breakfasts. No wonder he's moved in with me.
I think he should tell his wife everything, but I don't want to force him in that direction. I'm happy to wait on him hand and foot and let him choose whichever path seems natural for him. Besides, it's only been a week. I need to get to know him better before I can give him any advice. I have shared a lot of time and meals and coffees and conversations in the car with him. He had a bowl of cereal with me this morning (or was it that I ate two bowls while listening to him?) and he was vociferous when I was out in the car yesterday. I couldn't shut him up.
But I don't tire of him. He has hidden depths. There is far more to him than pocket-springing or memory-foam. He has an imaginary mistress called Miss Dangerfield and a secret yearning to be a farmer. He takes lentil soup to work in a flask.
I like having him around, but I shall finish with him soon. His connection to me is a solid one, nearly 3000 words have blossomed between us and I shall soon begin to nurture those into a good shape, with plenty of colour and interest. I hope.
Then he has to go. But I shan't forget him. I shall worry about him, knowing already how his future is going to turn out.
But it was fun while it lasted.
Am I still with my husband? Of course. He has a very understanding nature. But Graham and Harry have moved in now and I'm just about to get to know them quite well. And they might be around for quite a few weeks.

6 comments:

  1. He sounds lovely, I have my fingers crossed for him! He also has the same name as Podge's year 7 form tutor... the one who looked like Peter Andre :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I hadn't realised the name was the same!This Ian Green definitely doesn't resemble Peter Andre! He has no six-pack and can't sing. Mind you...
    Thank you for your comment lovely holytoast and a warm welcome to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian Green sounds like a laugh! I hope he makes it into print so we can all find out what happens to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope so too, Joanne! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I wish I had your imagination when it came to characters! Jo, I've nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award. Please see my blog for details: http://www.theyellowroomeditor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Jo! And many thanks for the Stylish Blogger Award too! I feel honoured and shall post soon with my seven things!

    ReplyDelete