Google+ Followers

Friday, 13 December 2013

Eyes Up

I have spent the last four months or so with my eyes down, working on my novel non-stop. Some nice bits of competition news from short stories I entered earlier in the year have been welcome, but otherwise my writing time has centred on my funny fictional family's road-trip. I love them all dearly and hope I've done them justice, but not as much as I love my real family for encouraging me so much.

The ms is out of my hands now, which feels exciting and daunting. I'll just have to hope that an agent likes it enough to take me on. I have had some good feedback when I sent out a tentative earlier draft, but there are never any guarantees. Although I like to remain hopeful, I have absolutely no expectations at all. If it isn't published, then what stays with me is still important - the huge amount I've learned and the masses of fun I've had from writing it.

In a way, I wish I could keep working on it, but the ridiculously small adjustments I was making during the last week have had to stop. I was in danger of terminal tinkering.
I did make some sweeping changes - deleting scenes and axing minor characters as if I had murderous intent and a scythe - but I'm happy that I've polished it as much as I can.

The road-trip is over and the wait begins. I don't know whether to turn to a new novel or short stories first, but I might have a short break before I start and this is the perfect time for that. Wishing all of you a very happy Christmas and a peaceful, prosperous New Year during which I shall continue enjoying all your lovely posts and lots more news of your writing successes.

14 comments:

  1. Well done for finishing the novel. Good luck with it and a very Happy Christmas to you, Joanna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Wendy. Wishing you a very happy Christmas x

      Delete
  2. What an achievement, Joanna - all the very best with your novel. Hope 2014 brings great success and joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Rosemary, and wishing you further success and happiness in the New Year x

      Delete
  3. I wish you all the very best with the agent and hope you have exciting news to share with your followers in 2014. Hope you have a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lindsay. Have a lovely Christmas and continued success and joy in the New Year x

      Delete
  4. It sounds fascinating, Joanna - I hope your novel is snapped up (it should be!) because I want to read it :-) Happy Christmas :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa, that's so kind. Have a lovely Christmas and a very happy and peaceful New Year x

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Sorry, had to delete that last message as it related to a previous message - then I realised the first hadn't appeared).

    Hope you hear good news from the agent soon, Joanna.

    Happy Christmas. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many, many thanks, Suzanne and have a lovely Christmas too, with even more successes in the New Year. x

      Delete
  7. And now I've put a full stop in the wrong place (blush). I think I'd best get my coat. :0) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck and hope you have good news very soon!!

    ReplyDelete