Google+ Followers

Wednesday, 3 December 2014

A Stunning Cover for Tying Down the Lion









Amazing artist, Adam Regester, has designed this stunning cover for Tying Down The Lion, which is set to be released in March 2015 by Brick Lane Publishing.

I am indebted to him for capturing the heart of the story, which centres on a family road-trip from England to Berlin in 1967. I love every aspect of the artwork, especially the contrasts.

Despite the Wall, its shadows and the menacing symbols of one horrendous war that is over and a colder one that has just begun, the quaint, yet incongruous English car is nevertheless battling through. Both car and city are worn-out and full of holes - either rust or bullet induced - and beset with problems, so there is a little common ground too.

For me, the cover is a complete and beautiful picture composed of all the metaphorical brush-strokes that were painted before the novel could come to life; the research, the rewrites, the gnashing teeth, the consultations, the revisions, the clumps of torn-out hair, the editing, the coffee at dawn and the offer of a contract. It has travelled a long distance from its beginnings as a short story of a thousand words that refused to be filed away.

My favourite memory of the writing process is the day I  looked again at that little story, inserted a page break and typed Chapter Two?



19 comments:

  1. I love the fact that the novel began life as a 1,000 word short story. 'I wonder what will happen if I do this....' is part of the fun of being a writer. I hope your novel becomes a bestseller. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Jo. And thank you for all the encouragement you've given me over the years. Seeing my stories in The Yellow Room meant masses to me. Your support and friendship has been absolutely invaluable. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks terrific. Can't wait to read it. I might try the Chapter 2 technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Nicola. Yes, the Chapter Two technique worked well in this case. It was a short story that felt like more of a beginning than a complete tale. But all the main characters were in place, even in those thousand words, and it was that fact that kept driving me on to tell their story. xxx

      Delete
    2. Sorry, Lindsay, I called you Nicola by mistake - I blame all the excitement! xxx

      Delete
  4. So, so happy for you Joanna. Congratulations!!! The cover is fabulous and it sounds like my kind of read. Can't wait to get my copy and make a start. All that hard work and graft has truly paid off. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nicola! It would be wonderful if you read it and I do hope you enjoy it. It has been quite a process, but seeing the cover has made it all worthwhile. xxx

      Delete
  5. Terrific cover, Joanna. I've always loved how your short stories contain real heart - so can't wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely of you to say that, Tracy - thank you so much! I really hope you enjoy reading it and I'm so glad you like the cover. xxx

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous cover, Joanna - I can't wait to read your book xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many, many thanks, Teresa. I'm so pleased you like it and it will be amazing to think of you reading it. I had such an amazing time writing it and I'm so fond of the characters. I really appreciate all your support. xxx

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Please forgive all the amazings - I can't help it today! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, well done, Joanna! A lovely cover for what sounds like a really interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Frances. I'm really glad you like it.xxx

      Delete
  9. It's an amazing cover, Joanna, and I love the sound of all the threads of the story and settings. Your short stories are always wonderful and I'm sure your debut novel will great success. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many, many thanks, Rosemary, for your lovely, kind comments. I really appreciate it. I'm so looking forward to March! xxx

      Delete
  10. The cover looks great, Joanna. That's really interesting the book started as a short story - it must have been really exciting realising it was developing into something much longer. Best of luck with it! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much, Vikki. I shall always remember the moment when I realised the short story needed to be a novel. Inserting a page break and typing Chapter Two felt thrilling, but scary! xxx

    ReplyDelete