Google+ Followers

Saturday, 9 May 2015

A Book is Not a Baby



People tell me my book must feel like my baby. They say that with publication imminent, watching that baby take its first steps must be a wrench. The truth is, I don't feel like that. Once my book was finished, there was a positive and welcome sense of detachment - it was a complete being and ready to try its luck in the world.
If it succeeds in entertaining any of its readers, then it will be successful and I will be inordinately proud. Not of me, but of it. This is not some sort of coy modesty. I feel this way about short stories too. Once they become complete pieces, I see them in a different way. They must stand alone. I send them off and wish for the best possible outcome, but without expectations, since those can lead to disappointment. However, I am always hopeful, as there would be little point submitting if I couldn't allow myself a sliver of that. If the story is unsuccessful, I am disappointed for it, not for myself. If it flourishes, I am overwhelmed with happiness, but for the story, not for me. The mood has changed since we were closely acquainted. I am occupied with a different set of characters, an unrelated setting and brand-new words. This is why they cannot feel like babies. If they were, it would be impossible to discard one in favour of the next.
I really miss the characters I have created and wish they were still with me, but none of them can be tiny infants - even those who actually are. They must all stand on their own feet. If they seem to be faltering, then I probably shouldn't write The End just yet.
My book cannot be a baby. It has to go out and speak for itself, function on the precipice without me clutching hold of it and clinging on for all I'm worth - just in case I decide to pull it back from the brink.
A book and a baby are two different entities. One is painful to produce, causes endless anguish and disturbs sleep. The other is soft, pink and gurgly.

6 comments:

  1. I take it the book is the pink, gurgly one, Joanna? Congratulations on it, and enjoy the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your view on this, Joanna. and it's a very sensible approach as we go hopefully got on to produce many more books and stories than babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. Yes indeed, let's produce plenty more! xx

      Delete
  3. I think it's good that you take this view of your book, Joanna, and with stories. I find sometimes when I first finish a piece of work I'm really attached to it, but then gain a bit more perspective when time passes. I do find that in my book length work I always remain attached to my characters though, and it's almost like I would be wishing them well if released out into the world (if that makes sense!) Best of luck with your book when it's released! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Vikki. Yes, indeed, I agree that it's the characters who linger. I sometimes wish I were still writing about them now, even though I am very involved with another family in a new novel. I keep expecting someone from TDTL to walk in and would love it if they did. Maybe that should happen... xx

      Delete