Google+ Followers

Sunday, 28 February 2016

Greenacre Writers and Finchley Literary Festival Short Story Competition



Thank you so much to Rosie, Lindsay and Carol of Greenacre Writers for inviting me to judge the Greenacre Writers and Finchley Literary Festival Short Story Competition.
This will be the first competition I have judged, so I am especially thrilled and excited at the prospect of immersing myself in the entries. Reading short stories is one of my favourite things to do when I'm not writing. Much as I love a good novel, I have never failed to fall under the spell of short fiction, from the Conrad and Hemingway stories I studied at school, to the collected stories of Saki I discovered for myself - slightly less collected these days now my treasured old copy is falling apart - to the short works by Franz Kafka and Thomas Mann I read at university, to the countless stories in magazines and competition anthologies that have inspired my own efforts throughout the years, and to the glorious volumes by my favourite authors - William Trevor, Penelope Lively, Dorothy Whipple, Helen Simpson and Mollie Panter-Downes. The list could go on and on.

The competition requests submissions of a maximum one thousand words on any theme and in any genre. The entry fee is £5, the closing date is May 31st and the first prize is £100. I will be at the festival in June for the announcement of the winners and will be reading an excerpt from When Planets Slip Their Tracks as well. I can hardly wait and hope to see you there!

10 comments:

  1. Looking forward to meeting you. Carol, Rosie and I all thought of inviting you individually then discovered we'd all thought the same! So you are absolutely the best writer for the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's so lovely, Lindsay! I'm really grateful that you all thought of me and I absolutely can't wait to start reading! xxx

      Delete
  2. Judging competitions is such an honour and such fun! I'm sure you'll enjoy it, Joanna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. I'm looking forward to it so much! xxx

      Delete
  3. What a lovely honour to be asked, Joanna - they are very lucky to have you as their adjudicator! Look forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so kind, Rosemary. Thank you very much! I can hardly wait to start reading the entries! xxx

      Delete
  4. You must be thrilled, Joanna. Especially so after reading Linday's lovely comment. I am so pleased for you. It will also be lovely to attend the festival in June and read your own work as well as announce the winner of the competition. How wonderful to celebrate the short story and rightly so. Have a lovely week, Joanna and thank you for sharing your news and word of the competition too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nicola. This is definitely a dream come true for me as it is such a brilliant opportunity, not only to read lots of wonderful stories, but also to analyse them thoroughly and ultimately learn from them as well. It always fascinates me how other writers construct and pace their plots and, most important of all, how they bring their characters to life. I hope there will be a huge number of entries and I will happily tuck myself away with them for hours and hours!

      Have a fantastic weekend, Nicola. Wishing you all the very best with your writing. Thank you so much again for your kind words. xxx

      Delete
  5. I think we ought to thank Google maps for bringing us Joanna! Having a particularly dippy morning, I entered Bisley, and Google maps indicated it was near Woking, just outside London. So, not too far to travel I thought. I had the wrong Bisley, but most definitely the right Joanna with such a wealth of writing experience. We are absolutely thrilled that you can make it to the festival. We're all looking forward to hearing about your writing and will be so excited to hear who you choose as the winner of the Greenacre Writers & Finchley Literary Festival short story competition. Roll on June 25th!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Rosie. I am so grateful that you thought of me and am looking forward hugely to reading the stories and selecting the winner. When I started entering competitions, I always thought how fantastic it must feel to be asked to judge - and now I know that it is! The travelling is fine as Adrian really enjoys driving about and is also looking forward to the event very much. I can hardly wait for June 25th. I know how it feels to be a writer and to entrust your story to a competition and it will be amazing for me to be 'on the other side' and become the person entrusted on this occasion. Thank you so much again for asking me - I couldn't be more delighted about it. xxx

      Delete