Google+ Followers

Monday, 29 May 2017

Bath Flash Fiction Evening

We had a wonderful time at the Bath Flash Fiction Evening at St James' Wine Vaults, and our readings rose to the occasion by competing staunchly with the intermittent rousing choruses of Happy Birthday from a group of revellers outside!

l-r Ken Elkes, Jude Higgins, me, Tracy Fells and Jane Roberts

It was inspiring to listen to such talented writers as well as great fun to read my own stories, which included a new piece written for reading aloud. It was still difficult, however, to choose which ones might work best and I changed my mind a dozen times before the event.



Jude Higgins organised the evening with great care and I was thrilled to be included, especially as it gave a rare opportunity to reunite with special writer friends and to meet Tracy Fells for the first time after years of internet friendship.

John Holland from Stroud Short Stories, who was first to read

I love listening to stories read aloud and being part of the spellbound audience, but it is also a great privilege to stand at the sharp end, hoping to give people something they can take away with them, either something which inspires or gives cause to ponder, but most of all, to entertain.

7 comments:

  1. What a brilliant evening to attend, Joanna - I'm sure everyone would love hearing you read your stories. Great photos and good to see Tracy there with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rosemary! It was a lot of fun to be out and about with other writers and amazing to meet long-term friends in real life! xxx

      Delete
  2. Sounds a great evening and you got to meet my writing buddy Tracy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was brilliant, Wendy, and amazing to meet Tracy at long last - how lovely she is! xxx

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful event, Joanna and I'm so pleased you enjoyed it. Meeting other writers and listening to talent must be joyous. I miss being part of such events. Living where I do does have its disadvantages. Wishing you a lovely week and thank you so much for your inspiring and encouraging words you gave on my blog. I truly appreciate it. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nicola, for your lovely comments. It really is good to be a part of these events and encourages me to go out and about more than I would otherwise! Meeting and listening to other writers is so inspiring and such a privilege. I love your blog - your brilliant posts bring about so many wonderful responses. I'm so looking forward to reading your book and wish you the success you richly deserve xxx

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great evening Joanna. I always get really nervous reading out my own work, but I think you can get a real buzz from it too, and it is always great to hear other writers work too x

    ReplyDelete